Monday, November 20, 2006

What is Doha Like ???

A very interesting question...... Doha...Qatar is undergoing a huge change as I write this. The fact that they are hosts to the Asian games which starts in 10 days time has helped contribute to the redevelopment of this once sleepy backwater of the middle east.

I don't think I have ever seen so much construction in such a small place !

The Qataries are having to deal with a culture change probably not seen before here. Yes the hijab and indeed the burka are still the standard wear for the local women as is the ""Dish Dash""( Dish Dash being the long white almost robe type garment) for the local men who compliment it with rather impressive head dresses. ie the sheikh look.

When I walk around I have noticed that there are a hell of a lot more Indians and Philipino's than there are Qataries. Most of them doing low paid menial work.

I do feel very safe here. There does not appear to be any crime at all. Having said that the one thing that I do get nervous about about is crossing the road. Over here, it seems, every local owns at least one landcruiser and also a high performance car of some kind. Now....as the roads are very well maintained and straight and wide, interrupted only by roundabouts it makes for a fantastic place to race cars.....and boy do they. There is absolutely no regard for pedestrians. Worryingly, I can see a few visitors who will be making their way over for the Asian games getting knocked over.

To be continued...............
Peace and Love

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home