Saturday, February 04, 2006

Anyone for Cricket ????

You really can tell that the world is changing at a faster pace these days.

I have a window in my study that looks out onto some communal grounds. I would call it a green but alas in delhi I would have to call it a little brown dust patch :)) It's about the size of a five a side football pitch if not a bit bigger.

I look out to it alot. Quite often Nikhil plays there with the other boys in the neighbourhood and I find it re-assuring that I can keep a watchful eye on him every now and then without intruding on his space. What has any of this got to do with cricket you may be asking........well it seems that cricket has been taken over by a different sport for the boys. No longer does one hear the sound of leather against willow or as is more often the case here a tennis ball against willow :))

No what I am am hearing are the charming sounds of "Pass it" or "Hold the ball up" or even as is the way the world over "How did you miss that you stupid ****er" Yes that is right they are all playing footy !!! It's nice in a way that it reminds me of watching Nikhil with his friends back in London. But also sad, as just from this little microcosm of life one can see that India in 10 or 15 years may not be as dominant a force in Cricket as it is today. I may be wrong but I cannot see that the Indian football team winning the world cup any time in the next millenium. No sadly there will be a dilution in the quality of young sporting talent. India is not well known for it's sportspeople despite being the second most populous nation. Still like I said I hope I am wrong.

Besides I am allowed to dream that one day Nikhil will lead the Indian football team to the greatest glory .............. one day :)))

Peace and Love

1 Comments:

Blogger Akash said...

I don't think cricket will ever die in India, notwithstanding the recent performance in Pakistan. Cricket is the one sport where India is a major force, and the source of all the money funding world cricket. I predict that India will thrash England in a couple of months time and India will retain the number 2 position behind Australia.

Now if they can only just re-instate Ganguly as Captain and if he could find his touch, we could win WC 2007 as well!

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home